Oura users who want to take a deeper look at their data, beyond on the robust information offered in the app, can do so with Oura Cloud. It’s your personal dashboard for the data that the Oura ring and app collect and analyze from and for you.
Here’s a quick recap of what the Oura Cloud is – along with a primer on the Trends View. We must say, we’re pretty excited about Oura Cloud and we hope you are too! We’re always continuing to tinker with Oura Cloud, which means we’ll keep making it even better and adding new features from time to time.
What You’ll Learn in This Article
- What Oura Cloud brings to tracking your readiness, sleep and activity
- What is the Trends View and how to use it
- What you can learn from your long-term trends
What is Oura Cloud?
As said, Oura Cloud is the personal dashboard to your Oura data. Once you’ve logged in at cloud.ouraring.com with your Oura account details, you’ll see two major views:
- Dashboard View, where you can check out your daily sleep, activity and readiness data (newest sleep data being the default view)
- Trends View, which we’ll talk more about next, so keep on reading
Basically, Oura Cloud shows you a more in-depth view on the data and visualizations that are available in the Oura app. In the Dashboard View, you can see more exact numbers behind your sleep, activity and readiness contributors than in the app (e.g. percentages). In addition, there are some more specific visualizations available, such as your heart rate variability (HRV) curve from the night.
Visualizing Weekly and Monthly Trends with Oura Cloud
What about the Trends View, the new kid in town, then? We at Oura believe that what matters is your long-term wellbeing: the balance between your load and recovery from week to week, month to month. That’s also why we’re certain that you’ll be interested in the Trends View.
The Trends View shows you how well you sleep, move and recover in the longer run. What you see is averages of your data, because as said, when we look at trends, we’re not that interested in a value from a specific day, but how we’re doing in general.
In practice, you can choose from several measures and scores Oura tracks and analyzes, and see how it changes or fluctuates over time. You can, for example, examine whether your sleep or readiness score changes over the year. In addition to the score or measure, you can select the timeline you want to view (the whole year, January to March…), and choose from three data analysis options: your daily values, weekly or monthly averages.
The result is a graph that visualizes how you’re doing – in all of its glory, or perhaps occasional astonishment. We at Oura are most excited about the weekly and monthly trends, because they reveal the big picture and show whether we are progressing or regressing with our sleep, recovery or activity.
What Can You Learn From Trends?
So, what can you learn from your trends? In our opinion, a lot about you, your lifestyle and how your environment influences your wellbeing. Here are some examples of what we have learnt about ourselves:
- People have different types of rhythms, but when it comes to sleep, our bodies seem to appreciate routines. For example, the trends data has showed us that people who tend to be active in the evenings, but should follow the 8am to 4pm office routine, really seem to suffer from social jetlag on Mondays. If your sleep schedule is significantly different on weekends, you might see a dip in the sleep quality curves.
- You can also track how different seasons influence your sleep quality and readiness. Here in the northern parts of Finland we’re interested in knowing how big of an effect the winter darkness and the midnight sun actually have on our sleep.
- You might want to track down the weeks in a month when you always seem to be the most ready for heavy training. As an example, for women, the best time to do the high(est) intensity workouts is the first half of the menstrual cycle.
- If you travel a lot, you could be interested in knowing how much it affects your long-term readiness.
- Or maybe you want to check whether your readiness score jumps up during your holiday periods. (Does it?)
Comparing Trends in Oura Cloud
The Trends View guides you in getting the bigger picture of your wellbeing. But this is not the whole story with trends. In addition to learning interesting and important things from a single trend, you can extend your knowledge about yourself and your lifestyle by comparing different trends. Just add a chart, select the metrics you want to track in the drop-down menus, and start digging deeper into the correlations between your readiness, sleep and activity.
Are you ready to start exploring? Log in to your Oura Cloud and jump right in. And as said, we’re developing Oura Cloud further all the time, so we’ll keep you posted on new features.